This and that: Palmito ~ Fill the Cookie Jar

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Palmito ~ Fill the Cookie Jar

A crispy caramelized cookie made with puff pastry, dipped in chocolate.




A crispy caramelized cookie made with puff pastry, dipped in chocolate.






Fill the Cookie Jar with Palmitos

These cookies are awesome!  They have caramel and chocolate and are easy to make~what could be better?  Another name for these French cookies is Elephant Ears but I like the name palmitos. I knew when I saw them that they were a perfect cookie to make for this month's Fill the Cookie Jar.  The original recipe I found was in French so I had to use my translate app to figure out how to make them and this is what I came up with.

I ended up making these twice, once for my hubby at his apartment and then made them a second time at home.  REASON?  I needed to get better pictures... I love my husband but he just doesn't have enough dishes and because I made them in the evening... no good lightening. 


A crispy caramelized cookie made with puff pastry, dipped in chocolate.


The first batch turned out well but one of the problems I had was that I didn't have a rolling pin so the puff pastry didn't roll the best.  I also didn't let the pastry thaw enough.  The second time I let the pastry completely thaw out and I rolled the pastry thinner - worked well, they weren't as thick!


A crispy caramelized cookie made with puff pastry, dipped in chocolate.



A perfect treat to have with your coffee or tea....
or even to eat for breakfast! 😍


Ingredients:
1 package Puff Pastry (2 sheets)
3 tbsp Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar
3 tbsp Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Dark Chocolate
1/4-1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts, almonds and macadamia)

Directions:
Thaw Puff Pastry per directions until pastry is completely thawed
Place one sheet of pastry on parchment paper
Sprinkle top with Pure Cane Sugar and Brown Sugar
optional:  Melt 1 -2 tbsp chocolate and drizzle over sugars *
Place second sheet of pastry on top
Roll both side of long sides to center
Wrap in parchment paper and place in freezer for 15 minutes
Remove the pastry out of freezer and cut into slices 1 cm thick
Place each cookie on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown
Remove cookies from oven and let cool slightly until you can handle them
Melt chocolate and dip one side of cookie into chocolate
Sprinkle with chopped nuts.














Image and video hosting by TinyPic

18 comments :

  1. Darn, have to make two batches of delicious cookies. lol I know these are a sophisticated holiday cookie and always a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my heck! These look amazing and I love how easy they are to make. So making these this month. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like there would be no problems making and eating two batches of these cookies! They are simple, but look so fancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a big problem... and I think they are so good.

      Delete
  4. These are so pretty!! Perfect treat to share this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so delicious Marlys. I love using puff pastry and your cookies look amazing. These will be on my cookie try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like them Joanne and I love using puff pastry too.

      Delete
  6. Oh yeah, I am sooo making these! I like the palmito name better than elephant ears too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen palmettos before and I think they are so pretty! I have never made them, but I am thinking I should Love them. Thanks for being a part of the Fill The Cookie Jar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a great addition to any Christmas platter.. or at least I think so.

      Delete
  8. These cookies are on my list to make for the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies event. I am traveling the world and making a cookie from a different country each day and this is the recipe I chose from France. Glad to see that they turned out so well for you and thanks for the tip about completely thawing the pastry and rolling it thin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun...Each country has some awesome cookies that can be shared.

      Delete
  9. I know these as dipped palmiers. Love them by any name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great by any name, even just cookies..

      Delete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.