This and that: Caramel Apple Pie Cookies #fillthecookiejar

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies #fillthecookiejar

What is more American than Apple Pie?  With the 4th of July nearly here I wanted to make something that was patriotic and I thought why not apple pie... Patriotic or Summer is the theme for this month's Fill the Cookie Jar.
I did a lot of research when I decided that apple pie was going to be part of my cookies.  Most of the recipes that I found had regular pie crust and I wanted to make a crust that was sweet, so made a crostata type of crust.  This cookie takes a bit of time to make but is so worth it..

Caramel Apple Pie Cookie - Fill the Cookie 

Ingredients:
crust -
2  cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar (I used Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter (room temperature)
6 tbsp ice cold water
filling-
1/2 can (or you can use more) Apple Pie Filling
topping-
egg white (lightly beaten)
3 tbsp sugar (Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg



Directions:
To make crust-
In bowl place sugar, salt and flour, cut in butter to the flour mixture until crumbly.  Add water and mix until dough comes together, kneading slightly.  Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least one hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut up apples in pie filling into small pieces or use your food processor to chop them into small pieces. Set aside.
Divide dough into two balls.
Roll out dough and using circle cookie cutter or glass cut out dough into 20-24 cookie shapes.
Roll out second ball into large pie shape.  Cut dough into strips and set aside.
Place onto cookie sheet.
Spread approx 1/2 tsp of caramel sauce onto each cookie.
Spread approx 1 1/2 tbsp of apple sauce on top of caramel sauce. (you can add more if you like).
Using strips of dough that cut, place 3 strips on top of the apples.  
Using fork press down around edge of cookie, making sure you get the strips that you place on.
I then used my glass that I used to cut out the initial circle for the cookies and place it on top of each cookie to attempt to make them round.
Cut out star shape in leftover pie crust and add to top of cookie.
Brush each cookie with beaten egg white.
Mix 3 tbsp sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle over cookie.
Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown in 350 degree oven.
Cool on baking rake.  Drizzle with more caramel sauce (optional)


If you are interested in joining our Fill the Cookie Jar group or want more information about it, head over to Feeding Big or click on the cookie jar below and Cynthia (our wonderful leader) will help you get started.  This is a wonderful group and it is lots of fun to make cookies each month.




Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Linked up to these awesome parties:  Merry Monday Link Party, Marvelous Monday Link Party, You're Gonna Love It Tuesday, Treasure Box Tuesday

11 comments :

  1. Oh My Gosh Marlys, these are so cute! I love them. You have so much patience for making these little pies! I am so glad you are a part of the Fill The Cookie Jar group. I love seeing what you bake every month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, oh my, oh my....... This is such a great cookie! I am all excited over this recipe, and trying to think when I have time to make these! It will definitely have to be a day when my patience level is high :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum!! You can't go wrong with mini pies! I bet my kids would love these with blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. And I love the extra caramel sauce on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marlys these are so terrific, what a great cookie. I would love to make these for our family brunches, I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marlys these cookies look so moist and tender!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for linking up to Merry Monday this week! I am sharing your post today on my 4thof July Pinterest Board for the next patriotic holiday! ! We hope to see you next week for another great party! Have a great week!
    Best,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think these would go down well with the in-laws! I'm sharing across all my social media.
    Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now these are what i call cookies! They are amazing....oozing with flavour. They look goey too...even better!!

    Thanks for linking up to Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Marlys, these are so pretty, and they sound SO good! Combine caramel and apple and pie and you've got my undivided attention! Thank you for sharing these with us at Treasure Box Tuesday- pinned and scheduled on twitter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious Marlys! Pinned and shared!

    ReplyDelete

Please stop for a moment and leave a comment to let me know you have been here. I love reading all your comments.

I am sorry but I cannot accept Anonymous comments anymore as I am getting too many spam. I hope that you will comment with an ID user. Thanks for understanding.

I will not be accepting comments that have links on them. I will not delete them but because of google's stance on links I do not want to have any problems with my blog. Thank you for your understanding.